Please visit my website:

Saturday, March 6, 2010

TODAY'S WORD-A-DAY ... GRISAILLE


GRISAILLE (French for "grey" and pronounced gri-zai') is a painting in monochrome or near-monochrome, usually in shades of grey, brown, or purple, on a white ground. Although mainly used in large decorative paintings and plaques, Grisaille was also used in enameling for jewelry and other small objects, and particularly popular with 16th century Limoges enamelists, such as Penicaud and Limousin. Pictured here are 2 Grisaille miniature paintings from my private collection.

1 comment:

Kat Barton said...

I just love the knowledge that you have and share. Limoges is one of my favorite china's to. I also see you have a private collection. I will have to turn you on to another site I am on. They do lot with private collections. It is iTaggit.com Great post.